The fam (except for picky Miss Shealyn) loved this! Now’s the time to write down the recipe…
1 Onion (sized to taste)
1/2 Stick Butter
1-1.5 o z Flour (about 1/4 Cup)
12 oz Milk
3-finger Pinch of Kosher Salt
Pepper (to taste)
1 Tbsp Prepared Mustard
2lb Cooked Ham
~6 Small Baking Potatoes
Parsley to taste (I use plenty)
1 Pkg Shredded Cheddar Cheese
– Pierce the potatoes with a fork and throw them in the microwave to cook fully.
– Dice the onion and ham.
– Dice the potatoes once cooked and cool enough to handle. Note: I leave the skins on.
– Pre-heat oven to 350F.
– Put butter in large skillet on medium to medium-high heat. When melted and ready to cook, toss diced onion in the butter and cook until translucent. (No caramelization. You’ll get that in the oven later.)
– Sprinkle flour over the surface of the skillet. Stir to form a roux.
– Add milk. Stir continuously until sauce thickens.
– Add 3/4 of the package of shredded cheddar. Continue stirring.
– Then cheese is melted into sauce, add salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir to incorporate.
– Fold in ham, potatoes, and parsley.
– Transfer to greased glass 9×13″ baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
– Bake in oven for ~30 minutes, or until cheese on top begins to brown a little.