Friday I lost my sense of taste. I'm not sure when, I just know that
it happened some time after lunch. The hot roast beef and mashed potatoes
were very good, I know that much. But that night, I discovered the pizza
had no flavor. It wasn't just the pizza, though. Nothing had any flavor.
Obviously, the problem is me. The only thing I can think of was the hot
chocolate I drank too quickly Friday morning. But my tongue doesn't feel
burned, and lunch, which came after the drink, was certainly flavorful.
So here I am, with no apparent sense of taste at all. Sometimes loss of
taste can actually be attributed to loss of smell. However, my sense of
smell seems as good as ever.
It's depressing suddenly being without one of the basic five senses.
Every food is now more bland than plain white rice. Every drink is as
tasteless as a glass of water. Will I never be able to again taste the
flavor of a perfectly seasoned medium-cooked sirloin? Or chocolate? Or
even root beer?